When the parents decide to continue working, child care is generally necessary, whether it be in a nursery or on an individual basis. In any case, it is often difficult to find a place for one’s child as child care is in high demand. It is therefore necessary to plan well in advance. Here are some tips which may help in the process:


Crèches, haltes garderies, nurseries, and other daycare organizations generally welcome young children (up to 6 years old). The children are minded regularly (over 20 hours per week), or occasionally (less than 20 hours per week) by early childhood professionals.

The Caisse d'Allocations Familiales (CAF) defines the amount of aid given according to the parents' income and the type of child care chosen for the child.

How to make child care arrangements ?

Less than 20 hours of child care per week

First find the closest child care center and find out how to register.

More than 20 hours of child care per week

Parents will first need to complete an application form at the town hall (mairie) nearest to their residence. Once the file has been examined, the mairie will notify the parents of their decision. This process is lengthy, and it is best to start as early as possible.

Ville de Nice - Accueil collectif

Cannes - établissements de la petite enfance


The “assistante maternelle” is a person who has official State training which allows them to take care of a maximum of 4 children under 6 years old at their private residence. It is sometimes possible for the childminder to watch the child at the parents’ residence according to the arrangements made with both parties.

Generally, the childminder is a salaried professional within the “crèche familiale” structure, or with the parents as employers. The amount of the salary is fixed by the crèche familiale, or directly with the parents according to an agreement reached by both parties. When the childminder is paid directly by the parents, the latter can sometimes benefit from financial assistance from the CAF, which is calculated mostly according to financial need.

Find a childminder in Nice - Rechercher une assistante maternelle sur Nice

Childminder in Cannes - Accueil individuel à Cannes

Extra-curricular activities

There are recreation centers available for children and adolescents in addition to school. It is possible to use these facilities during the school year (outside of school hours: lunch breaks, after school, Saturday...) or during school vacations. This service depends on the children’s school schedule.

At the recreation centers (accueil de loisirs) one can find cultural, artistic, and athletic activities or relaxation sessions, inside or outdoors. The children are supervised by counselors (animateurs) who have or are in the process of obtaining the State BAFA diploma. Prices vary according to each center.


The City of Nice and the “Caisse d’Allocations Familiales des Alpes Maritimes” also offer access to the municipal recreation centers with the Nice Plus Card, which gives access to extra-curricular activities on Wednesdays, during school vacations and on weekends. The day-rate varies between 2.50 € and 16.25 € according to the chosen activities and the financial situation of the family. The overnight rate varies between 6 and 50€. These rates are only available upon presentation of the Nice Plus Card. You will need to fill in a registration form for each child and deposit the form and additional documents at the Guichet unique Nice Facile: PÔLE INSCRIPTIONS - 6 RUE TONDUTI DE L’ESCARÈNE – 06364 NICE CEDEX 4

Once your child/children are registered with Nice Facile, you can register your children for the desired activities on this site or contact the registration service by phone on the indicated dates for each period.

Centers for children and parents

There are venues available for children under 6 and their parents to socialize with other families. In this way, foreign families can meet new people and socialize with professional and volunteer hosts trained to listen.

These organizations are generally free, however some of them may ask for a fee.