Upon arrival in France, if you wish to reside in France in the same place for more than one month, you need to take out habitation insurance. This is mandatory and covers risks of damage linked to your lodging (for example: fire, theft, water damage...) for a maximum duration of one year. The contract must therefore be renewed each year. If you move, the contract changes, as the evaluation of the pricing is no longer the same. It is thus crucial to alert the insurance company of any change of address in order to ensure the protection of the new residence.

Habitation insurance generally covers civil liability. This insurance is mandatory and insures damages toward an individual if you, unintentionally cause damage or deteriorate one of your belongings. If this insurance is not included in the habitation package, it can be purchased separately at any insurance company.

Don’t hesitate to consult us for a non-exhaustive list of companies.